What raspberries taught me about happiness.

As you might already know, I have a little morning ritual that involves picking raspberries from my garden while I wait for my porridge to cook and coffee to brew. I've come to rather enjoy it, as it makes for a very peaceful start to my day.

This morning there were fewer ripe berries than usual,
 And I was about to be disappointed with this poor harvest, before I thought about it for a second.
"Why would I be disappointed with a poor harvest when I have more than I need for today, and there will be more tomorrow?"

It was simply because yesterday's crop was so bountiful,
 that by comparison today's seemed rather paltry. 

A gentle reminder I think, about the significance of context, and the importance of being happy with having enough. I was about to be unhappy with having more than enough, simply because yesterday I had a lot. 

Isn't it funny how comparing things can make you unhappy? Something to think about today if you're comparing what you've got and it leaves you feeling disappointed. Do you have enough for now? If so, be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Agree or disagree? All opinions are welcome. Thanks for contributing, lets keep it respectful...